How can I make my heating and air-conditioning more energy efficient?
Saving money on your heating and air conditioning bills does not necessarily mean sacrificing comfort. Did you know that according the Environmental Protection Agency the average American household spends almost $2000 a year on energy bills? Did you know heating and air conditioning operating costs can account for as much as half of that? With a few simple steps, you can stay comfortable, save money, and protect the environment:
- Use nature’s free energy – During winter months, pull back window treatments and open blinds to allow the sun to warm your home naturally. Close curtains on the shady side of the house.
- Leave the thermostat alone – Continually changing your thermostat settings wastes a lot of energy. Consider a programmable thermostat that will automatically adjust temps at preset times. When used properly, it can save you money. Change the temps so your system runs less when no one is home or everyone is sleeping.
- Keep heat or cooling energy where it belongs – Make sure none of your hard-earned money is used to keep the attic and crawl space comfortable. Make sure your ductwork is checked for air leaks and damage during your annual maintenance.
- Don’t let energy escape – Running your kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans too often will cause your heating and cooling system to work harder.
- Retire old HVAC equipment – Is your home’s heating and cooling equipment ten years or older? If so, it just might be time to replace it.
If you think your heating and air conditioning system is not working efficiently, discuss your needs with one our trained professionals at Morelli Heating & Air Conditions, Inc.